Today we said goodbye to a very nice squirrel. There was a dead squirrel outside, on the grass by the spare bedroom window. Swiffer was looking at it and meowing, and then I noticed it. I felt bad for it, and it had just been pouring down rain, so poor Sunglasses (more on his name in a sec) was just drenched, not to mention dead. When Sean got home, I said, "We need to give this squirrel a more dignified burial." He said, "Well go find a box and I'll scoop him up." I went into the attic to find a nice squirrel-sized box, and found a shoebox that was marked 'Sunglasses', emptied the old sunglasses that were in it, and took it downstairs. I decided that Sunglasses should be the squirrel's name. I grabbed a handful of pistachios and put them in the box, y'know since squirrels like nuts, Sean scooped up Sunglasses w/a big slotted spoon that we never use (we also threw that away), put him in the box, gently laid him in the garbage can, and dragged it to the curb for tomorrow morning's garbage pick up. Sorry, I didn't take any picture of the process. That would've been weird!
Oh we also got some really good news today. Well, wait, let me rewind a little bit. Sean and I have been struggling a bit with money, and both of us have looked into getting 2nd jobs to supplement our income. I mean it's so nice to own a house
but the monthly mortgage payment is a lot! and I need to be able to not think about our budget all the time. It's stressful. Anyway, since we only have one car, I was thinking about working evenings/or weekends at the Wawa on Chester Pike, which is about a 5 minute walk from our house (Wawa is like 7-11 but much better). I even started filling out the application online. But then I got worried about being held up at gunpoint, and said, no I don't want to get shot, so I erased my application. Sean had also been looking for work on Craigslist: bartender, restaurant-type jobs, and had some pretty good leads. But today, when he got home from softball, he told me the great news: our friend Steve DiBlasi, who owns a State Farm office in town, said that Sean could work for him. The hours are great, 6-8pm Tuesday through Thursday, and a few hours on Saturdays. So we're very happy and excited for this wonderful opportunity! Anyway, love you all and stay tuned for my next post, (hopefully!) next weekend.

2 comments:
Belfair is a little wet today and it was nice to read your blog. Poor sunglasses. Nice job Mary
You sure you'll post next week, Mare, and not next month... (Snort.) Good news for you and Sean! But not so good for Sunglasses... I wonder why you threw him in the garbage? I was already for picts. of you digging 6 feet down... (BTW, I know I owe you an email... check my blog and you'll see why that's been slow coming!)
Post a Comment